Wednesday, July 26, 2006

TCA-riffic

The Television Critics Association held their awards ceremony on Sunday. While the TCA Awards aren't highly publicized, it seems that they're respected by people in the business. The ceremony was hosted by Mary Lynn Rajskub (better known to 24 viewers as Chloe) and surprisingly boasted a high number of star attendees (probably because they let the winners know beforehand so they'll be likely to show up).

I posted a bunch of the nominees back in May, and the winners are listed below:

PROGRAM OF THE YEAR
"Grey's Anatomy" (ABC)

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY
"The Office" (NBC) (my pick)

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA
"Lost" (ABC)

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY
Steve Carell ("The Office") (Lauren Graham will never win anything. Ever.)

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA
Hugh Laurie ("House") (my pick)

OUTSTANDING NEW PROGRAM OF THE YEAR
"My Name Is Earl" (NBC) (my pick)

Of the categories I looked at, I batted .500. Not bad! Though I still really would've loved for Lauren Graham to take home an award, I'll admit Steve Carell deserved it as well. (You can see his acceptance speech over at GMMR.)

One critic, Tim Goodman, offers his inside point of view about the ceremony and the winners at his SFGate.com blog. From his description, the TCA awards are more offbeat, intimate, and low-key than other awards shows. They aren't exactly thought of as the redheaded stepchild of awards shows, but they're far away from having the spotlight and cache of the Emmy awards.

Speaking of the Emmy's, they're just a scant month away now. TV Guide has full coverage and predictions. I guess they aren't familiar with the concept of procrastination! (I'll try to get to my predictions and wish-would-be-winners up soon.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home