Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Critical thinking

Let me start off by saying that the Television Critics Association has my eternal respect just for nominating Kristen Bell and Veronica Mars last year. You nominate Veronica, I mark you in the "good" column. It's that easy.

That said, the TCA released their 2006 nominations today, and it's a surprising mix of the deserving and the meh, in my opinion--and not just because Ms. Bell is conspicuously absent. One of the things that I find interesting, more than the nominees themselves, is the categories of the nominations, which are different from both the Emmys and the Golden Globes. With the TCA awards, there's "Program of the Year," which could go to a comedy, drama, or fake news show--sort of whatever the critics decide. Also, the nominations for acting are also gender-blind...or gender non-specific, at least. It makes for some interesting competition:

(my preferences italicized and explained below)

PROGRAM OF THE YEAR
"Grey's Anatomy" (ABC)
"Lost" (ABC)
"The Office" (NBC)
"The Sopranos" (HBO)
"24" (Fox)

The little show that could, The Office found its voice this year, along with one of the best relationships on TV.

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY
"The Daily Show" (Comedy Central)
"Everybody Hates Chris" (UPN)
"My Name Is Earl" (NBC)
"The Office" (NBC)
"Scrubs" (NBC)

My sister thinks this show is funny. Trust me, that's an achievement.

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA
"Grey's Anatomy" (ABC)
"House" (Fox)
"Lost" (ABC)
"The Sopranos" (HBO)
"24" (Fox)

I kind of have to give it to the only show I watched this season, though I'm planning to get caught up with House in summer reruns and Lost on DVD.

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY
Steve Carell ("The Office")
Stephen Colbert ("The Colbert Report")
Lauren Graham ("Gilmore Girls")
Jason Lee ("My Name Is Earl")
Jon Stewart ("The Daily Show with Jon Stewart")

This woman is amazing. Give her an award already!

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA
Alan Alda ("The West Wing")
James Gandolfini ("The Sopranos")
Hugh Laurie ("House")
Kiefer Sutherland ("24")
Kyra Sedgwick ("The Closer")

No one on this list is as awesome as Kristen Bell. So I give it to Hugh Laurie, because he gives good accent.

OUTSTANDING NEW PROGRAM OF THE YEAR
"Big Love" (HBO)
"The Colbert Report" (Comedy Central)
"Everybody Hates Chris" (UPN)
"My Name Is Earl" (NBC)
"Prison Break" (Fox)

It's a breath of fresh, funny air, with a deceptively simple premise and some of the mellowest, most fun characters on TV.

There are some conspicuous absences (Battlestar Galactica?) but you've got to hand it to the TCA for recognizing a number of actors and series that no other awards will. Hats off to you, critics.

3 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Blogger Veltman said...

You do. But you only leave comments when I directly mention you! So I have to do it every now and then. ;) Plus, I'm so psyched that you like the show that I keep needing to remind myself of it in a public forum.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

Hmmm...I find it so strange that Lauren Graham is the only woman in her catagory... Random...

I agree...give that woman an AWARD!! She has played out every emotion out there and done it WELL!!

How has she not be acknowledged yet?

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Veltman said...

It is a little strange, but I think that's just one of the delights of the TCA awards. Last year Ms. K Bell was the sole chica in a category with these gentlemen: Matthew Fox (“Lost”), Hugh Laurie (“House”), Ian McShane (“Deadwood”), and Kiefer Sutherland (“24”). (FYI, Hugh won.) I guess that's just how the TCA rolls.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home