Monday, August 07, 2006

Young at heart

In honor of my little brother's birthday today (hi, Drew!), I thought I'd post about my favorite TV shows when I was a kid. I think it's probably pretty clear I was a child of the 80's. If you spent your formative years watching TV in the 80's, then the list below should have some fond memories for you.

In no particular order, I was all about:

1. Rainbow Brite
2. Saved by the Bell
3. Kids Incorporated
4. Mickey Mouse Club
5. She-Ra
6. Smurfs
7. Gummi Bears
8. Transformers
9. Faerie Tale Theater
10. Avonlea

I think that each one of these shows had a deep psychological impact on me, turning me into the person I am today: that is, a bouncy singing diminutive blue performer with a powerful sword and belt who can turn into a toaster at will and who loves hanging with her fairy godmother and Mr. Belding in her idyllic Canadian hometown.

I'm sure Abbey would say the same for her magical appearance-manipulating earrings, unrecognized business acumen, and purple-haired boyfriend.

What shows do you all blame (or credit) for making you the fine upstanding citizens you are today? Did anyone get their philosophical side from Splinter, or their moral fiber from G.I. Joe? (Dubious...you probably got it from Zack Morris.)

1 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

Meeeeemmmmmmories...Like the corner of my miiiiiinnnnndddd....

Oh how I love my childhood tv shows! And you're right. Where would I be without Jem. I wouldn't be a rock star/PR Queen. Yow. I wish that were true.

Gummmie Bears. Bouncing here and there and everywhere.

Is it weird that the first thing that comes to mind when I think of these shows is the first line of their theme song? Whatever I don't even care...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home