Friday, August 11, 2006

TV First Glimmers of Interest in Boys: MMC

If you read Monday's post, then it will come as no surprise that the video below brought me no end of glee.



I'm sure I should feel shame about this, and I do. But it's hard to properly feel shame when your inner ten-year-old is bouncing up and down repeating, in her high-pitched prepubescent squeal, "OMG they are so cuuuuute! Jay Ceeeeeeeeee!!!" It's only once she's tired herself out and is lying in a blissful heap on the floor in your mind that you can actually look at the show, and the boys on the show, somewhat objectively.

If John Carter was squeaky clean, then Justin, JC, Ryan, and the other boys of the Mickey Mouse Club were so clean that they make a sound only Superman and dogs can hear. Dean Cain might've been my first star crush, but Ryan, Justin, and JC pre-dated him as some of the first times I looked at boys and thought they might not be altogether a bad sort of thing.

Certainly I didn't have fuzzy feelings about the lot of them (preferring to annihilate them at kickball or keep things strictly Math Team), but perhaps these MMC boys, in their flowing garments with their gently undulating dance grooves and their dulcet, I-haven't-met-testosterone-yet voices, could be tolerated...even enjoyed.

I mean, seriously. The boys of the MMC were confident, talented, well-spoken, and comfortable making fools of themselves in front of millions. Compared to the cretins I shared a lunch table with, they were positively Adonic.

And, heck, 15 years later, Justin and Ryan didn't turn out so bad, did they? As for JC...well, did I mention Ryan and Justin turned out well?

Note: I recognize that this week represents something of a regression in maturity, a giving-in to my baser fangirl instincts, a vacation from quality posting. I'll be back with Serious Journalistic Prowess next week, I promise.

4 Comments:

At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the suits that are about 3 sizes too big. I can't believe that was actually the style. Very David Bryne without being clever.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Veltman said...

I'm pretty sure they weren't doing an homage to Talking Heads, but I'm not sure that was actually the style. Maybe they just had a bunch of adult wardrobe and ran with it. ;)

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

YOU MADE MY DAY!!!!!!!!

Is it sad that I can still tell you the names of everyone on the MMC? Even the ones that didn't become famos? For example: while watching an episode of Felicity the other day and noticed that Marc from the MMC was in one of the scenes as random student #14. What's worse? I remembered that his name is spelled with a C and not a K.

PS I think that Justin still uses some of those same moves. : )

 
At 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RYan Gosling...Noah Clahoun...swoon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home