Sunday, April 30, 2006

Winging it

For the past month, that's what I've been doing. I've just been trying on this writing style and subject for size, to see how it would fit. So far, I've really been enjoying it, and I've had a lot to say. It's been fun. I'm not sure whether I'll continue to do a post a day every day for the next month, but I'll see how long I can keep it up.

If you're reading this, and you like it, and you want me to keep going, shoot me a comment to let me know.

The title of my post also refers to the West Wing, which I'll be watching tonight. We last left our beloved politicos from the Santos campaign preparing to enter the White House, with staffing being the main issue on everyone's mind. Santos was looking for a VP, Helen looking for a Chief of Staff, Josh looking for pretty much everyone else. From last week's trailers, it looks like this week we'll be seeing Vinick step up to the plate as Vice President. Implausible, to be sure, but the kind of political fantasy of partisan harmony we'd all be happy with.

For the past seven years, the West Wing has portrayed an idealized vision of public service that was entertaining and educational, if often heavy-handed. With just three episodes left to go, I have to hope that they'll end the series with the same tone they've had throughout: that no obstacle is insurmountable when a community of smart and dedicated people are working to overcome it. I love TV that's realistic, to be sure, but I also love TV that reflects the better world I'd like to live in.

1 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

You MUST MUST MUST continue to do this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home