Thursday, April 27, 2006

Good TV is the best gift of all

I don't care what anyone else thinks -- Tuesday's episode of Veronica Mars was an early birthday present from Rob Thomas to me personally.

Yes, I'm aware that there are a couple million other viewers for whom the show is produced. Yes, I'm aware that I've only exchanged at maximum 100 words with Rob (during the Austin VM event). No, the date of my birth was not included within those 100 words. No, I'm not so deluded that I think Rob really remembers our brief exchange (in which I told him I had made my sister, mother, and 75-year-old grandmother devoted VM viewers). Does any of that matter? Do I care? No.

If indeed, it is a gift from Rob to me, and he has the godlike power of knowing what I wanted for my birthday, then I guess my request for "angst" must have come through loud and clear. Boy, did we get angst. The best kind of angst - hot and vulnerable and epic.

I've read some episode commentary that's a bit critical of what took place between Logan and Veronica, suggesting that like so many shows nowadays, VM is just drawing out the relationship between them, throwing obstacles between two attractive and compelling characters to keep them from getting together. To which I reply an eloquent: BOOOOO. The obstacle keeping Logan and Veronica from having a long term relationship (for now) isn't something external -- it's their own characters and choices. Veronica's inability to trust anyone, Logan's tendency towards untrustworthy behavior -- these aren't plot points thrown at them in the writer's room. They're part of who Logan and Veronica are and why we care about them.

I'm a patient girl. I know that in real life, timing can mean everything to a relationship. Why should TV life be any different? I can wait for Logan and Veronica to get it together -- so long as while I'm waiting, Logan is shirtless.



...And now you all know what I wished for when I blew out the candles on my cake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home