Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Gilmores no more

Last week, it was announced that Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino, the creators of Gilmore Girls, would not be returning for the seventh (and likely final) season of the show. Today, Michael Ausiello over at TVGuide.com put up a great interview with both of them. Check it out.

Michael asks some difficult questions, things that the fans will most certainly be asking, and does it in a way that is respectful and shows how much he appreciates the show. I have to give him props for that. In return, AS-P and DP are very honest and up-front about the negotiations and about the future of Gilmore Girls. It's rare to see that kind of candor from people in show biz. While it's true that AS-P and DP put more of the blame for the failed negotiations on Warner Bros. (who, you know, put up the money for the show) it's also obvious that AS-P and DP are very close to this show. It's their baby, and they have a vision for it. I, for one, believe they should've been allowed to carry out that vision. But alas.

What do I think of the fate of Gilmore Girls? I'm on the fence. During the past few seasons of the show I've alternated between feeling love-ambivalence-love-ambivalence for both the characters and the storylines. This season's probably falling about 66% ambivalence, 33% love. While I'm not as invested as I have been in the past, I still care what ultimately happens to the characters, and I think it will be very unfortunate if Amy and Dan don't have some part in the end of the show. This is a very talented pair of thinkers and writers who, when they're not trying to prove something to their audience, can make TV that's supremely enjoyable and funny and heartwarming and off-beat. They have a unique voice and have managed to create an original mother-daughter bond that's filled with love, conflict, and pop-culture references (like so many of the best relationships).

I'm sure the next producer of the show will come up with a series finale that's good and appropriate and satisfying. But I worry that without Amy Sherman-Palladino, the viewers will be missing out on an ending that could have been truly amazing.

1 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

I, of course, am still enjoying the show...but I feel either it's slowly taking a downhill slide or I am growing out of it.

Really, I just think that the show is not at its peak anymore. Which is sad because it has amazing possibilites that are not being tapped into.

I will watch faithfully till the end...I just may not care as much if I miss the final 2 minutes of the season finale as I did several seasons ago.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home