Friday, June 30, 2006

WB gets a little classy

Word from Variety via TV Guide is that on its last day of programming, the WB will air the first episodes of some of its signature series: Buffy, Angel, Felicity, and Dawson's Creek.

That's a fairly classy move (out of character for the WB?), so it doesn't seem quite right for the network's final goodbye. Personally, I'd love if the WB were willing to celebrate their successes and failures over the years by airing some bad pilots along with the good.

How about some Tarzan with a pre-Prison Break Dr. Tancredi? Or the pilot of Zoe, Duncan, Jack, and Jane, with the always smokin' pre-Lex Michael Rosenbaum? There's a lot of crap to celebrate along with the quality. I like what the WB is trying to do, but they could rock a whole other set of less-than-stellar shows as well for a send-off that's truly representative of their programming over the years.

What forgotten or fondly remembered show would you like to see the WB say farewell to on its last night?

3 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

There was a time in college (Fall 2000)that I only watched the WB and UPN because they seemed to be the only programs that I could get on my crappy tv...I was living by myself and too poor for cable.

Now I don't think I can remember the names of these shows that I watched, but one was about teens making a tv show about teens...and one was really sweet and nice ... she was Big Red from Bring it On and Sabrina's sidekick for most of Sabrina, the Teenage Witch. But I really remember an episode with the girls eating pizza on their show they made on the show (does that even make sense?) and they spit it out because it tasted like crap (because it was "fake" pizza) and the main girl being mean to the new girl and "Big Red" trying to be nice to everyone...and someone being "too fat."

And also there was one about kids at a private school (I think the word Americans was in the title) and one of the girls dressed up like a boy and then got one of the other boys to fall in love with her/him.

Clearly I only watched these shows a few times because I can only really recall one story line. Or maybe they were cancelled so quickly that they only had time for one or two storylines.

I think I'll got with option 2.

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the shows you're talking about are 1- Grosse Pointe (which I didn't see much of, but it was FUNNY) and 2- Young Americans? I've never seen Young Americans, but that might be the one you're talking about, and I'd love to see it (Ian Somerhalder!).

Julie, I LOVED Zoe Duncan Jack & Jane! That show was the shizz.

Other WB shows I'd love to say goodbye to when the network calls it a day: The Jamie Foxx Show (I only watched the last season of it, but I was still a good 5 years ahead of your average "Ray"-watching Jamie Foxx fan), My Guide to Becoming a Rock Star, Dead Last (remember this show? It was like Ghost Whisperer but with a rock band and thus much less annoying), Birds of Prey (it would have been so watchable if the acting didn't blow), Roswell, and Jack And Jill.

Hmmm... did the WB drop all of those shows like they were nothing?

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Veltman said...

I think you're right on guessing the shows Abbey was referring to. And you seem like you know her pretty well since she loooved Jack and Jill when it was on.

I totally remember Dead Last and the other shows you mentioned. It cracks me up that clearly we are all part of the same generation that checked out pretty much whatever was on the WB, whether it was good or not. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home