Sunday, April 09, 2006

Where did the good go on Gilmore Girls?

I watched Tuesday's episode of Gilmore Girls, "I'm OK, You're OK," and I couldn't help but feel that they were just going through the motions. Seriously, this season lacks the magic of the past two seasons. To me, it feels a bit like they're going through the motions rather than having things happen organically.

The fifth season wrapped up so strongly, with Luke finally acting on his years-concealed attraction to Lorelai. Season Six kept the momentum going, through the ups and downs of their relationship. Season Seven, however, seems to have them just running in place. The writers seem to be throwing unnecessary roadblocks in the way of Luke and Lorelai being together.

Why is that? Why is two people being together any less interesting than two people working to get together? It shouldn't be, though I know it often is. We're trained to think that sexual/romantic tension is more interesting than fulfillment. I think the creators should consider it a personal challenge to keep their relationship as interesting and vital as a couple as it is when they're apart.

Look at Lily and Marshall on How I Met Your Mother. It is possible to write funny, romantic, unsentimental television about two people who are already together. I think the Gilmore Girls are capable of it, if they'd only let it happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home