Saturday, April 08, 2006

Only...7 more months?!@$#&

Last night I lay curled on the couch, after a hearty pizza dinner, reading Thank You For Smoking. (See? I do have a life outside TV. It mostly includes other forms of pop culture, like TV and movies, but...okay, I don't really have a point. Or a life.) But you know what? Something was missing. It took me a while to realize what it was: Battlestar Galactica.

I didn't start watching BSG from the beginning. It was only after it started to appear on a few top ten lists, and became one of the most talked-about shows on TV, that I finally jumped on the bandwagon.

Boy, am I glad that I did. I watched the miniseries first. I wasn't hooked, but I was intrigued. The creators managed to update it to be relevant for some of today's current events, and in those first few hours set up a number of interesting dynamics and story arcs. Plus, I loved the thumping pounding tribal music and the gritty special effects of the battles in space.

The series thus far has been even more ambitious. Season 1 progressed along nicely and certainly held my interest, but Season Two upped the ante, churning and twisting through a series of intense, intelligent, storylines that defied cliches and made the viewer think. The stand-alone episode and overall season plots are compelling, the characters are three-dimensional and forced to make challenging decisions every day, the interpersonal relationships are complex, and there's even eye candy. (What? Jamie Bamber is so pretty.)

Season Two of BSG ended last month, and we've got until October for Season Three's new episodes to start airing. Now is the perfect time to get caught up on one of the sharpest, smartest, fast-paced shows on television. Don't be put off by the fact that it's on Sci-Fi. It is science fiction, but it's so much more than that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home