Friday, April 07, 2006

How do I love thee, VM? Let me count the ways.

Note: This review discusses "Plan B", the April 5th episode of Veronica Mars. If you don't want to know about it, you'd better stop reading.

Three Things I Love About Veronica Mars:

1. Continuity. A show with a memory of past events? How novel! In this one episode, they managed call-backs to:

- the 'freedom' essay assigned the previous week
- the nasal teacher, Mrs. Murphy
- Logan making his ladies watch Easy Rider
- Veronica's photography skillz
- the shocker
- Weevil beating up Curly Moran
- Mr. Wu + study hall
- Jackie's dad (Terrence) being in the hospital
- the real witness to Felix's death
- Woody's incorporation plan
- Hannah's departure
- Keith's throwing Logan out of the Mars apartment
- Molly + Felix 4-eva!
- St. Mary's as drug-smuggling HQ
- Mrs. Woody being "tough"

2. Quotability. The writers on this show are so good, it shames me.

Veronica: "I need you to do something for me."
Logan: "Veronica, ask not what Logan can do for you, but what you can do for Logan."

Logan (to Veronica): "When something stops being important to me, my memory gets a little fuzz--wait...who are you?"

Woody: "Bet you have some fun with the ladies, huh?"
Logan: "The ones that survive."

Lamb (to officer): "Look up Eli Navarro. There's got to be something outstanding we can book him on."
Weevil: "Oh, if I did it, it's outstanding."

Veronica: "Getting admissible evidence seems like the least you can do."
Lamb: "Oh, there's less I can do. Trust me."

Logan (while selling dance tickets): "Don't worry, gang -- if she's a 2 at 10, she'll be a 10 at 2."

Veronica: "Dance with me."
Logan: "I've dreamed of this moment. I've Had the Time of My Life was always playing. What can you do?"

3. Logan. Obligatory psychotic jackass with a beating, bleeding heart. Scenes that make me want to give Jason Dohring an Emmy include:
- when Veronica asks him for info about the witness to Felix's murder, he's flippant and unhelpful. Only after she gives up does he volunteer the information. As long as he's got the upper hand, he's happy.
- placing his hand on the Bible to 'swear in' as Honorary Deputy Commissioner, he jerks it away, saying, "oww...oh...that burns!" Way to mess with the Woodman.
- the chemistry between him and Veronica is off the charts. He thought he was scalded by touching the Bible? He had no idea what really generates heat. Whew! I think I need a cold shower after watching the dance scene.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home