Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Haaaaaave you met 'How I Met Your Mother'?

When I first started watching How I Met Your Mother, I was cautiously optimistic. (Willow! Doogie! The cute guy from Freaks and Geeks who was/is dating Linda Cardellini!) The first few episodes were excellent, establishing the friendships between the characters and creating memorable catchphrases like the inimitable "Suit up!"

However, I'm concerned about the momentum of a show that's built upon Ted's search for/winding road to the mother of his children. HIMYM doesn't work as well when Ted's storyline is the driving force of each episode; Ted does better as the friend you don't see all that often. You care about him, and you wish him well, but he's so earnest and just a wee bit desperate that you're worried it'll rub off on you if you hang out too much. Better to see him when you need someone to commiserate with about your less-than-stellar love life.

Ted does have some pretty awesome friends, though. Lilly's sweet but no blushing bride-to-be, Marshall is a nerdy, delightful marshmallow, and Barney...well, like Barney's job, you're not quite sure what it is, but you know it is "steak sauce." Their humor helps speed up episodes that might otherwise be a bit slow. Plus, they're mad quotable.

For example, Barney let this fly a couple episodes ago, while impugning Marshall's level of zest for life: "I should feel tremors of psychitude rock my body like a seizure. That was like a declawed pregnant cat on a porch swing idly swatting at a fly on a Sunday afternoon. Show me your psych!" When the window into Barney's odd brain opens, it's a pleasure for all of us who get a peek.

Got some time on your hands? Go enjoy Barney's blog for more insights into his twisted psyche. Get it? psych-e? (I know, Barney would be ashamed of my pun. I doubt he'd consider it "legendary.")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home