Friday, August 25, 2006

As promised...

So, I honestly haven't been that excited about the Emmys this year. Don't get me wrong, I'll still be watching and blogging them, but I was fairly sorely disappointed by some of the absences from the nominee list, so I suppose I've been a bit soured on the whole business.

That said, I promised I'd let you all know who I'd be rooting for, so here are my brief thoughts on what I'd hope to see happen on Sunday:

Outstanding Drama Series
"Grey's Anatomy" (ABC)
"House" (FOX)
"The Sopranos" (HBO)
"24" (FOX)
"The West Wing" (NBC)

I am so torn between House and Grey's Anatomy here, but I think I have to give it to Grey's, for their outstanding cast and overall improvement this year. Sure, they're a soap, but they're bubbly and addictive.

Outstanding Comedy Series
"Arrested Development" (FOX)
"Curb Your Enthusiasm" (HBO)
"The Office" (NBC)
"Scrubs" (NBC)
"Two and a Half Men" (CBS)

The Dunder-Mifflinites had an amazing year as well. Though I'd like to give it to AD on their way out, I think The Office was really revitalized and astonishingly creative this past season.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Frances Conroy, "Six Feet Under" (HBO)
Geena Davis, "Commander In Chief" (ABC)
Mariska Hargitay, "Law & Order: SVU" (NBC)
Allison Janney, "The West Wing" (NBC)
Kyra Sedgwick, "The Closer" (TNT)

Abstaining from selection based on fury and resentment at several notable ladies not being included. However, looking forward to seeing all their dresses.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
Peter Krause, "Six Feet Under" (HBO)
Denis Leary, "Rescue Me" (FX)
Christopher Meloni, "Law & Order: SVU" (NBC)
Martin Sheen, "The West Wing" (CBS)
Kiefer Sutherland, "24" (FOX)

Comic timing and dramatic chops? I never knew Leary had them until I watched Rescue Me. He created such a great character for himself.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
Stockard Channing, "Out of Practice" (CBS)
Jane Kaczmarek, "Malcolm in the Middle" (FOX)
Lisa Kudrow, "The Comeback" (HBO)
Debra Messing, "Will & Grace" (NBC)
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "The New Adventures of Old Christine" (CBS)

Ditto my previous comments about the Dramatic Actress category. I think I should invite Lauren and Kristen to go get drunk with me and boycott these sham awards.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
Steve Carell, "The Office" (NBC)
Larry David, "Curb Your Enthusiasm" (HBO)
Kevin James, "The King of Queens" (CBS)
Tony Shalhoub, "Monk" (USA)
Charlie Sheen, "Two and a Half Men" (CBS)

Steve. So painfully funny, so much improvement over those first slightly awkward episodes. He's really carved out his own take on things, and it's a pleasure to watch.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Candice Bergen, "Boston Legal" (ABC)
Blythe Danner, "Huff" (Showtime)
Sandra Oh, "Grey's Anatomy" (ABC)
Jean Smart, "24" (FOX)
Chandra Wilson, "Grey's Anatomy" (ABC)

So hard to choose between the two Seattle Grace docs. Since Sandra won a Golden Globe, I'll give this to Chandra.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
Alan Alda, "The West Wing" (NBC)
Michael Imperioli, "The Sopranos" (HBO)
Gregory Itzin, "24" (FOX)
Oliver Platt, "Huff" (Showtime)
William Shatner, "Boston Legal" (ABC)

This is all you give me to work with? No Enrico? No Dohring? I don't think so.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
Cheryl Hines, "Curb Your Enthusiasm" (HBO)
Megan Mullally, "Will & Grace" (NBC)
Elizabeth Perkins, "Weeds" (Showtime)
Jaime Pressly, "My Name Is Earl" (NBC)
Alfre Woodard, "Desperate Housewives" (ABC)

Jaime is a complete surprise and a white-trash delight in this role. Love her (if not her fashion line) and think she deserves success for her performance.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
Will Arnett, "Arrested Development" (FOX)
Bryan Cranston, "Malcolm in the Middle" (FOX)
Jon Cryer, "Two and a Half Men" (CBS)
Sean Hayes, "Will & Grace" (NBC)
Jeremy Piven, "Entourage" (HBO)

Completely to my surprise, this is one of the harder categories for me to pick. I'd like to give one to Cranston for his consistently great work on Malcom, were it not for standouts Arnett and Piven, who I've loved for years. If pressed, I'd have to give it to Arnett, since Piven is one of my TV Boyfriends, which means he's already a winner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home