Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Aptly named, since it disappeared from my must-watch list

If you've checked out my calendar of shows, you might've noticed that I took the opportunity to watch the premiere of Vanished last week. You might also have noticed it no longer appears on the calendar. There's a reason for that. That reason is that Vanished isn't particularly good.

Watching Vanished is like being at a party where the hostess is trying too hard to make sure everyone's having fun. There are a whole bunch of activities planned, all kinds of food, a wide assortment of guests. But no one wants to participate in the activities, no one's hungry, and no one really wants to be there. Sure, everyone showed up, but they're just going through the motions of how they think they should behave in those circumstances. They're all sort of waiting for the night to be over, and not even in a particularly interesting way.

Vanished is that party. The crime seems planned, but none of the characters seems all that driven to investigate it. The chick's disappearance is rife with mystery, but no one's hungry to solve it. They're all too busy sleepwalking through their lives fulfilling expectations. "Oh, I should be doubting someone's motives now? Okay." or "Right, this is when I should be feeling tortured about my checkered past." Everyone's milling around a bit, waiting for the final payoff -- the pinata, the cake, the reappearance of the senator's missing wife.

Maybe some other viewers will stick around till the end of the party, but as for me, I'm heading out to see if there are any good frat parties at Hearst College or disorganized celebrations at Chili's.

3 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

Yeah, I watched the first episode as I worked on my photo site. Clearly I did not enjoy the show, because my layout looks Fab! : )

Last night I decided to give it another try and watch the second episode. I don't remember a thing from it. It was not even interesting enough to stop reading random crap online. So Bad...I agree with you...gone from my Tivo List.

 
At 12:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree the show is bad, but I'm kinda enjoying . Since its early in the season I think I'll stick with it for a while, at least until something better comes on (or its canceled)

One show might be Kidnapped, which has similar premise, but much less complicated and with better acting. I got it on netflix and it left me intrigued.

 
At 12:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw the flash-back scenens in the second ep. were laughable. I loved how they hit you over the head with the 90s music so you would know that "Hey this isn't happening right now and in case your too dumb to realize it, here are a couple of one hit wonders from the early 90s to remind you!"

I've gone on too long about this show.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home